Sunday, February 20, 2005

10 best guitar solos

Earlier this week, I mentioned some other bloggers listing what they thought were the 10 best guitar solos. I finally worked up my list..not in any particular order, just 10 I think are great. If I know the guitar player's name, I'll list it, otherwise I'll list the artist and song.

1) Michael Jackson- Beat It (Eddie Van Halen) First time I heard this one, I was in awe.

2) Joe Cocker- When The Night Comes(Phil Grande) I've heard this one MANY times, and it still makes my hair stand on end. The best music comes from the gut, and this solo is proof.

3) Scorpions- No One Like You(Mathias Jabs) Whenever this one comes on, I have to stop what I'm doing. Too awesome.

4)Say It Again-Santana (Carlos Santana) You can't make up a list like this without at least one Santana tune on it. I think it's a law or something.

5) Jimmy LaFave- Walk Away Renee(unknown) I saw him play this song on Austin City Limits. Great stuff.

6) Jimmy LaFave- Sweetheart Like You(unknown) Also from the ACL set. LaFave is known for standing back and letting his players play. This is a great example.

7) Van Morrison- Perfect Fit(unknown) Great jazzy feel to this one. It makes me happy every time I hear it.

8) Eric Clapton- Forever Man(Eric Clapton) Back when Eric was still making albums with electric guitar in 'em, this was the one that did it for me.

9) Christopher Cross- I Really Don't Know Anymore(Larry Carlton) To me, the fact that more people DON'T know who Larry Carlton is, is a shame.

10) Pat Benatar- Promises In The Dark(Neil Geraldo) Dunno what it is about this one. It just sounds good cranked.

Those are my choices, feel free to comment on them, or list your own favorites. Do yourself a favor if you do, and add your name to your list so I can tell who's posting what tunes.

This may seem like a lightweight post, but hey, it's Sunday. Gimme a break.

No comments: