Wednesday, March 23, 2005

More caching.

Went out again tonight and got another cache. I would have gotten this one a couple days ago, but the route I took led us over some VERY rough roads (picture the surface of the moon, and you've got the idea) and wound up breaking a weld on my car's exhaust.

$20 later, it was fixed.

So, I got off work early today, got home and chilled for a bit, then went out after it again. I've got this bizarre quirk: if I don't find the thing, then forget any other caches, I'm not givin up till I get the one that's eluding me, dammit!

I never claimed sanity. It's overrated anyway.

So, my buddy UN (search for the post explaining his name, I'm not gonna reiterate) comes up to me today and says "Why don't you hit the parking lot for the ski trail and see how far it is from there?"

Brilliant idea. Wish I'd thought of it.

So, I did. 1/2 mile from the lot. I've got an hour of daylight or so. I can do this.

Off I go. The going was a wee bit rough, as it's getting warmer now, and the snow's not exactly frozen anymore. No worries, though.

Found the cache. I was under a clump of trees, and didn't notice that I was losing daylight RAPIDLY. I started back to the car, walked out from under the tree cover,looked around, and said to myself various naughty words I won't repeat.

Great. 1/2 mile to the car in rapidy disappearing daylight. Good thing I'd brought my friend Mr Maglite, just in case.

Before I'd hit the trail, I saved the parking lot as a waypoint, so the trip back was no sweat. I just followed my footprints for the most part, and got back a lot faster than I thought I was going to. It seems my walking pace is about 3.2 mph.

All in all, a very fun lil' trip, and a good way to get some exercise and relieve stress. When I'm on the trail, all the daily bullshit seems to just fall by the wayside. The silence on the trail is a perfect counter to hours of ringing telephones and other bullshit.

Next time, though, I'm setting out a LOT earlier!! LOL!

No comments: